Basic, but critical definitions related to the types of publishing:
- Traditional publishing — provides all services with no upfront charge, is paid entirely through royalties from sales, has distribution to bookstores and other benefits that you couldn’t do as a self publisher.
- Small press — doesn’t charge up front, publishes you but can’t do anything that you can’t do yourself.
- Vanity publisher — charges you up front for services (like cover and editing), ALSO takes royalties, publishes you but can’t do anything you can’t do for yourself.
- Self publishing — the writer is responsible for all tasks performed by the traditional publisher.
- Self publishing service company — charges you for services – you pick package or individual services – and doesn’t take royalties or “publish” you.